Wednesday, January 27, 2010

First Time Blogging! =]

Hello cyberspace! =] Well this is officially my first blog on this amazing new blog site! I am a Junior who goes to a Hall County school. I am fun, spontaneous, adventures, curious, loud, out-going, and compassionate. I love visual art and everything that has to do with it-pottery, painting, and drawing. I also love taking pictures! Photography is fascinating to me but ironically I cannot photoshop a decent picture. Epic fail? yes.

Enough with my babbling. I am currently mentoring in neurology. The brain is just so complex and mysterious to me and I LOVE complexities and challenges! I want to know how the brain really works. Also, I am very interested in stem cell research, especially embryos vs. adult stem cells. It is very controversial and intriguing.

There are many quotations that I love but I cannot possibly put all of it on here, but these are some of my favorites:

“The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, the education, the money, than circumstances, than failure, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes.” -Charles R. Swindoll

"Life is full of beauty. Notice it. Notice the bumble bee, the small child, and the smiling faces. Smell the rain, and feel the wind. Live your life to the fullest potential, and fight for your dreams." -Ashley Smith

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle." -Albert Einstein

"You cannot add more minutes to the day, but you can utilize each one to the fullest."
-Menachem Mendel Schneerson

Lap Dog Experience:

Well according to Dictionary.com synergy is the interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects. Synergy was present numerous times my the lapdog experience, especially on the last challenge when we had to move the tennis ball with ropes while we were blind folded with only one person to lead us. That activity requires communication, trust, collaboration, commitment, momentum, and teamwork. One person cannot finish that challenge without everyone else involvement. We, as a group, worked together and moved the ball. If one person did not participate, then the challenge would have been a disaster. Another moment in which synergy was emphasized was when we were trying to lower the "helium" tube to the ground. The effects of concentration and teamwork made that task easy. LapDog is truly amazing in helping young adult like ourselves to learn about leadership and teamwork. It was an awesome experience!

Mentorship Desires:

I am super excited about this semester! I hope to learn more about the functions of the brain and how it effects other body functions and organs. I want to know how it feels like to be a neurologist with patients interactions. Hopefully by the end of my mentorship, I'll be more knowledgeable about the brain!

bye bye now!


2 comments:

  1. HI Dung: I enjoyed reading your blog. Have you been able to line up hours with Dr. Schultz (neurologist)? I hope so. I am totally fascinated with anything dealing with the brain-brain based research, etc.

    I LOVE your quotes! Attitude is everything-some have accused me of being too 'optimistic' and having a simplistic view that one can always achieve everything with the right attitude. I have lived far too long to believe that-however, I truly believe that how you perceive things-Good AND/Or bad makes the difference. Have you read Mans' Search for Meaning (Victor Frankl)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have finally started my mentorship last week, and it is going smoothly. Hopefully I'll be able to watch one of their surgeries soon!

    People asked me all the time why I always have a smile on my face and some criticize me for being "too happy"-but how could you live a good life without having an optimistic perspective?

    No I have not read Mans' Search for Meaning. I guess I should huh? I'll definitely put that under my "Have to Read" list.

    ReplyDelete