Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mentorship Reflection

Today was actually my second day at my mentorship. The physicians are very nice and friendly, and everyone welcomed me with open arms. I really like the patient-interaction atmosphere because I noticed the bonds Dr. Schultz had created with his patients; this is why I wanted some patient interaction in my career because I would like to create that personal bond rather than just the patient-doctor relationship.

Today I saw something quite eccentric- Mrs. Deavers gave this lady, who was experiencing some agonizing pain on the lower part of her spine, a shot that contains steroids and antibiotics to numb the affliction. The process of giving the patient that shot was interesting-I had to stay away from the patient because Mrs. Deavers was afraid that she might hit me due to the painful shot. That was the highlight of the my day. I also saw many MRIs and talked to many patients on both days. I like the surgery side and the patient interaction side of Dr. Schultz's profession. This is probably what I want to do as a career. Although there are not as many brain-related cases as spine-related cases, I still enjoy my mentorship. Hopefully I'll be able to go in surgery with them soon.

Quote of the Day:
"Passion is universal humanity. Without it religion, history, romance and art would be useless. " ~Honoré de Balzac


No comments:

Post a Comment