Thursday, April 15, 2010

Motivation Drive

After taking the motivation drive test, I discovered that I am type I behavior.

Type I behavior: A way of thinking and an approach to life built around intrinsic, rather than extrinsic, motivators. It is powered by our innate need to direct our own lives, to learn and create new things, and to do better by ourselves and our world.

For my mentorship, I think there is a combination of both type I and X motivation behaviors because I believe that some are there for the purpose of a stable income, and good working environment while others are there because they passionately want to care for others.

A personal experience or project where I was totally engaged and challenged was the LifeStraw project. After attending a UGA conference back in the spring of my sophomore year, I knew that I wanted to pursue this LifeStraw project in my school. The LifeStraw project focuses on giving third-world countries such as Haiti clean, filtered water. A “lifestraw” is a portable water filter that prevents common diarrhea diseases; it can be carried around for easy access to safe and clean drinking water. For my junior year, I dedicated most of my time coming up with fundraiser ideas and projects for my Club to fundraise some money and that was a challenge because we are limited in fundraiser ideas and I had a hard time getting people involve. Through this experience, my leadership skills were strengthened. So far we have fundraised over $300 dollars and this is a ongoing project in which I hope to raise over $1,000.

My personal statement has to be "She brightens the world" because I believe that my optimisim and passion for helping others will brighten and better this world that we live in.

1 comment:

  1. I love the 'lifestraw project' and wish that more of our high schools were involved in this (and Nothing but Nets-project to raise funds to purchase mosquito nets for countries that have malaria). Kudos to you for being aware of what is going on in the world-and for caring.

    ReplyDelete