Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pica..Pica..Pica-CHU!

The more I learn about Pica and its mysterious origin, the more interesting it is to me. Recently, I read an article that explains the nature of this disease in full details. Some interesting facts that I discovered is that although no specific data exist regarding the racial predilection of pica, the practice is reported to be more common among certain cultural and geographic populations. For example, geophagia is accepted culturally among some families of African lineage and is reported to be problematic in 70% of the provinces in Turkey. Also, pica is observed more commonly during the second and third years of life and is considered developmentally inappropriate in children older than 18-24 months. Research suggests that pica occurs in 25%-33% of young children and 20% of children seen in mental health clinics. Overall, this article was another helpful source!

"Eating Disorder, Pica." Emedicine. Medscape, 4 June 2009. Web. 24

Mar. 2011. < http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/914765-

overview >.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a strange phenomenon to me-remind me to tell you about the women I saw eating kaolin (in East/central Georgia). Usually, they were pregnant and needed the minerals.

    ReplyDelete